From Denny: Here we are now four long weeks into an extended winter, proclaimed by the celebrity groundhog himself to last a full six weeks. Punxsutawney Phil is known around the globe for his famous forecasting abilities even the psychics envy. And he does it all on a non-cash basis, preferring to barter for great room and board, yummy treats, lots of petting and celebrity status adoration. Read that as he is one spoiled pampered little guy. His fan club is known as the Inner Circle and is made up of local dignitaries dedicated to providing his lavish style.
Since we are still stuck in another two weeks of winter it was fun to check out the official site of the famous groundhog himself and discover some funny facts about the celebration. After all, this famous psychic was correct yet again this year.
Phil has quite the devoted fan base. There are T-shirts with his loving face, coffee mugs with his morning “mug.” Stainless steel travel coffee mugs are lovingly adorned with his message. Groundhog cookies come with a recipe you can make your own or available for purchase. Powerful refrigerator magnets remind you of his presence in your life!
There are groundhog jokes, groundhog cookie cutters (I kid you not), groundhog lesson plans for teachers, a poetry competition and more.
While researching the origins of this crazy celebration that now millions of people watch all over the globe, I had a laughing good time. It was time to share. Here is a sampling of the funnies to get you started grinning.
Noteworthy highlight in Phil’s long history:
* During Prohibition Phil threatened to impose 60 weeks of winter on the community if he wasn’t allowed a drink. (Psychics must need a stiff shot every now and then.)
Top 11 Reasons to Celebrate Groundhog Day
11. It’s on nearly every calendar.
10. Helps relieve cabin fever.
9. Spring or not, it’s six weeks till St Urho’s Day.
8. Forecast is no less reliable than the National Weather Service.
7. At least one of them critters is bound to see things your way.
6. Valentine’s Day is too depressing for nerds.
5. Unlike the Easter bunny, he keeps his dirty paws outside.
4. As they used to say on radio: “The Shadow knows.”
3. It’s fun to say “Punxsutawney.”
2. If a rodent can bring us an early spring, more power to him.
1. In Minnesota, either way we come out ahead.
* The groundhog is like most other prophets; it delivers its prediction and then disappears. – Bill Vaughn
*** THANKS for visiting, come back often, feel welcome to drop a comment or opinion, a big shout to awesome current subscribers – and if you are new to this blog, please subscribe!